Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Halloween


When this was more topical, people asked what I did for Halloween. Now, with other holiday's soon upon us, I finally have pictures to show. So, here's a little treat for those of you still trying to hold on to that last bit of Halloween magic until next year.

Since Halloween's my favorite holiday I tend to go all out. This year, the weather was fortunately on my side. The temperature was in the 60s and there was very little wind. This was important since, with the assistance of my friend, Carrie Morris, I strung about 50 of the classic plastic Jack O'lantern buckets from one of the trees in my front yard. Each bucket contained candles, so that by the time night arrived, these otherwise pretty kitschy decorations, looked really nice illuminated from within, and seemingly floating in the air. It was somewhat like Ray Bradbury's Halloween Tree, though on a smaller scale.

I also constructed a seven-foot, papier-mache day, of the dead-style skeleton which was also hung from the tree. There was just enough breeze to actually make the skeleton (constructed somewhat like a marionette) to move. Hastily made luminara bags left over from last year, and jars of candles in the foliage at the base of a second tree, and a custom sound effects CD completed the scene.

Check it out here...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome. It's funny, when I was a kid my parents really didn't get into Halloween all that much, though I went out trick or treating every year, and have always been really jazzed about the season.

Now that I'm an adult and I spend the time to outfit my apartment and stuff there are no kids coming around to soak in the handywork.

Glad to see there are still guys like you making neighborhoods awesome during Halloween.